Sunday 25 October 2009

In the Garden

It was a beautiful day so we made it into the garden to try out the new chimnea.  My access to the garden includes two wheelchairs an ikea office stool and some very undignified and at times quite scary acrobatics, but it is worth it.
In the garden


However, getting a good blaze going in the chimnea proved to be far from simple.  It is sold as a wood burner and we have plenty of that lying about since my fall stopped play in August and nothing but the most essential tasks have been done.  Possibly it was because the wood was a little damp having been left out in the weather or maybe bits of folded paper are not a good way to start it although we also used dried out foliage and cardboard.  It was very smokey and I felt sorry for the neighbours but we did eventually get it giving out some heat.

In the garden


In the garden


We still have much to learn about using it.  We were supposed to be burning the blighted tomato plants but didn’t get that far but we did harvest the last of the tomatoes.  This year some of them survived the blight and although we have had blight for about a month we have still been able to harvest the tomatoes though in smaller quantities.


In the garden


The light was beautiful,


In the garden


and I was able to steer myself around, camera round neck and get some shots of the autumn colour that we have been planting for, for the last few years.


In the garden


In the garden


In the garden


In the garden


In the garden


The peppers have been absolutely fantastic this year and we haven’t bought any for a while.


In the garden


Not quite justified the cost of a £200 greenhouse but give it a few years!
I managed to get to the back of the garden and have a dig around for the garlic that I was sure was there but no one else could find.


In the garden


I also harvested seed from some of them and was stupidly surprised to find that the seeds look like little garlic cloves.


In the garden


So I planted some up and got Bruce to put them in the greenhouse to see what happens.  I hope it will be the obvious.  The fist time in nearly three months that I have got my hands in compost and hopefully a taste of things to come.


While down at the veg beds I noticed this taking over, it is very pretty but I have no idea what it is.


In the garden


And as we were out so was Beth at least for some of the time, getting some much needed sunshine and fresh air.


In the garden

And while we were out one of our neighbours asked the kids if they would like a couple of pumpkins from their allotment, a very kind gesture which reassured me that we hadn't annoyed them too much with our smoke.

In the Garden

Jack o lanterns and pumpkin soup here we come.

5 comments:

  1. Fabby garden pics Maire.
    I once had a daft moment in the garden where I was surprised to find an old Christmas tree I'd planted was growing pine cones!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh... beautiful foliage, fantastic peppers (I want them!) Wish I had more planting space in my garden. Never quite sure if I really have time for my allotment and trying to decide whether to give it up. It took me 3 years to get it. Your post has made me feel a bit more inspired, and relatively able. Hope you are mending well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maire, keep trying to reply to your comment on my post about blame free conflict resolution but my blog is conspiring to shut me up! My response to "I find this really hard." was:

    "Argh, me too! It's not second nature, let alone first nature in our culture. The traditional methods of blame and punishment leave nothing invested, do damage to relationships and don't even work. I imagine it is just bringing government into family life. We don't have a relationship or connection with government so they can only seek to control us. They do that through blame and punishment and they want us to be susceptible to it ... so they train us in school and through our religions. It's the only way I can see the logic in something so inefficient in the family setting."

    Hopefully your blog will allow me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to find these comments here, for some reason this blog doesn't let me know when someone comments so these come as a lovely surprise.

    Thanks Hannah, I love taking pictures in the garden, your tree is doing well, I never managed to get one to grow.

    Hi Sally I love growing things, keep thinking I must plant some rocket and lettuce to have through the winter, I did this last year and the fresh greens were lovely at this time of year.

    Thanks for coming to find me Salamanda, sorry about the delay in replying. I think you are right, it is a function of control a bit like beating in some black American families, seen as the only right thing to do to ensure and honourable child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am new blogging and home education and live in derbyshire. http://ulsuni2.blogspot.com/

    i am trying to find others based in uk/around me or find groups to meet. any help would be appreciated.

    how do i get others to look at my blog.
    thanks tracey

    ReplyDelete